Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This article contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!
It might spoil your gaming experience when first playing the related games.
The title of this article is conjectural.
Although this article is based on official information, the actual name of this subject is pure conjecture.
This article is about the announcer in Portal 2. For the speaker system, see Aperture Science Speaker System.
- "Hello, and again, welcome to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties due to circumstances of potentially apocalyptic significance beyond our control."
It serves to guide Test Subjects when no other supervision is available, such as a Central Core. Narrated by a pre-recorded male voice, the system will give relevant information regarding the current test chamber and other facility status.
In the beginning of the single player campaign in Portal 2, Chell, a test subject, is accompanied by the automated announcement system through the first chambers of the game. The announcer tries to calm Chell throughout the ruined test chambers, assuring that she has to continue with the testing as she is assumed to be the "future starter" due to the system working under the assumption that the planet has suffered an apocalyptic event.
The announcer makes many assumptions about the current state of the Enrichment Center, and it is evident that the messages were put in place to cover all circumstances. For instance, one message alludes to an Animal King, though any advice it may have given is cut off towards the end.
Test subject guidance Edit
The announcer's primary role within the test chambers is to maintain testing under extenuating circumstances, including such events as an apocalypse. Although statements are given in a calming nature, the voice never hesitates in mentioning events that would encourage panic.
Monitoring of facility Edit
The announcer apparently represents the core of the Aperture Science computer system, as it is able to replace GLaDOS' core with Wheatley, though not without human intervention. The announcer's control over the Enrichment Center is limited compared to the main core.
Whilst it can monitor the state of the facility, it is limited to a set of pre-programmed actions, which are not always helpful, to try and continue testing at all costs. For instance, it will only initiate a core transfer in the event that both cores agree to the transfer (or a stalemate is resolved by human means), and only does this in the event of the main core's corruption.
Behind the scenes Edit
- The announcement system's role was at first to be played by GLaDOS, as seen in the game files. Many of the same lines said by the announcement system during the chapter The Courtesy Call exist recorded in GLaDOS's voice.
- Although it has the ability to put out the fire in the Stalemate Resolution Annex, it is unable to help prevent the Enrichment Center's reactor core from a meltdown when Wheatley ignores it, suggesting that the AI system can override or ignore it.
- When Chell and GLaDOS (in her new potato body) are falling down the elevator shaft at the beginning of The Fall, the angry GLaDOS will compliment Chell on her "good job" on letting Wheatley control the facility. After she does this, the announcement system's voice issues from her reporting that the her sarcasm function is indeed working. This means the entire announcment AI, or at least a portion of it, in contained in GLaDOS's system, even in her potato form.
List of appearances Edit
- Portal 2 (First appearance)