This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.
You can help by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise. Visit our Cleanup Project for more details.
An armor vest is standard equipment worn by all Security Guards in Black Mesa. The armor vest is capable of absorbing and deflecting low-caliber rounds and it protects users from explosives and other types weaponry.
The Helmet, like the Security vest, is also standard equipment. The Helmet protects a security guard from damage to the head, but only low-caliber rounds from either a Glock 17, MP5, or shotgun pellets. The helmet does not protect the face, meaning a guard is still vulnerable to bullets. The Helmet also cannot protect users from high-caliber rounds such as a .357 Magnum, Desert Eagle, or the Crossbow. These bullets penetrate through the Helmet, killing the guard instantly.
Unlike the HEV Suit and Powered Combat Vest, the battery cannot be used for increasing the armor points. Instead, picking up a fresh vest or a fresh helmet is required to increase the armor points. In Half-Life: Blue Shift, picking up the Helmet will gain 40 Armor points while picking up an Armor Vest will gain 60 Armor points.
Behind the scenes Edit
- The Opposing Force "Otis" Security Guards were originally supposed to wear helmets, like their "Barney" counterparts. While removed in the main game, the helmet is still present in the multiplayer model.
- In the playable Half-Life 2 Beta, the model of a Helmet can be found.
- The Helmet in GoldSrc versions of Half-Life will protect security guards from damage inflicted by bullets and the Crowbar. However, in Source, the helmet will not protect from 9mm rounds or shotgun buckshot pellets if the guard is friendly to player. However if he is hostile to the player, his helmet will become bulletproof from player's 9mm bullet and shotgun buckshot weapons.
- Though the helmet will protect guards from taking damage from low caliber rounds, if the player use cheats and shoot the guard's helmet sufficiently, it is possible to kill the guard. For every 50 bullet of 9mm rounds and 10 shotgun shells, it will cause the guard to lose 1 health point.
List of appearances Edit
- Half-Life: Day One (First appearance) (Non-canonical appearance) (Security Guards only)
- Half-Life (Security Guards only)
- Half-Life: Opposing Force (Security Guards only)
- Half-Life: Blue Shift (Usable by the player and Security Guards)
- Half-Life: Decay (Security Guards only)
- Half-Life 2 Beta (Game files only) (Non-canonical appearance)