This article is about a mod.
This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.
You can help by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise. Visit our Cleanup Project for more details.
City 17: Episode One takes place during the Half-Life 2 timeline. The player controls a character named Jack who finds himself surmounting the task of getting out of City 17 alive, and helping as many of its Citizens before the impending Citadel destruction as he can.
Featuring new enemies, weapons, gameplay features, and "True-To-Valve" design, City 17: Episode One will attempt to "raise the bar" for mods everywhere. City 17 will see episodic development, taking the player and their goals across the majority of scenery and locales that Gordon Freeman himself visits, and even a few that he does not.
City 17: Episode One began development in 2005, and was subsequently restarted in 2007. Team Gear planned to release the mod sometime in 2011; however, it was pushed back to a 2012 release due to an engine update in 2010, It was later cancellledin 2016.
- Greatly enhanced support for dynamic lighting.
- Particle effects replacing all sprite effects. (Such as explosions and bullet impacts)
- Enhanced world shaders and shadow filtering shaders.
- FaceAPI head tracking support.
- Novint Falcon controller support.
- Multiple entity and tool changes to aid mapping.
- Enhanced scriptable fog system with dynamic blending.
- Maxsi Distribution for Achievements, online updates, and player statistics.
- Left 4 Dead style muzzle flashes.
Team Gear will be releasing their codebase in the form of a patch after City 17: Episode One is released to allow other developers to easily implement the above features and engine improvements into their mods.