The content of this article has been cut.
The subject matter of this article was cut from the final version of an official / canonical source.
This article is about the early mechanical Scanner. For its successor, see City Scanner.
For other uses, see Scanner (disambiguation).
- Mostly the City Scanner with a different skin, it is the first known mechanical Scanner to have been scripted. The other differences with the City Scanner is that it throws deadly gas and fire from the small ergots on its two sides as a defense, has slightly different sounds and its tail appears shorter than the City Scanner. It is featured in the playable Half-Life 2 Beta and can be found at the very start of the maps "
d1_trainstation_01" (where several are seen in various places) and "
devtest" (on the Borealis).
- The mechanical Scanner design was initially modeled after the shape and movement of a piranha.
- 11 sound files found in the playable Half-Life 2 Beta files indicate that the mechanical Scanner was to talk directly to people via prerecorded messages. Spoken by a robotic female voice, they include sentences such as "Citizen, do not move", "You may proceed", "Hold still for scan", "Hands on your head" or "Violation has been noted".
- Other sounds found in the very Combot folder also indicate it was to charge itself, possibly at undefined Combine charging stations.
- Combots would not break into pieces when destroyed, they would have simply fallen and not able to be picked up.
- Several Combots appear in the Half-Life 2 E3 2003 Trailer (set in the map "
e3_terminal") as well as in the E3 2003 video "Kleiner's Lab" (set in the map "
e3_lab"), where two discover the lab, and a destroyed one is lying on a desk (replaced in the final game by a destroyed Manhack).
- Dog originally had a scrapped Combot for a head, which was changed to a City Scanner when the latter succeeded to the Combot.
List of appearancesEdit
- Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar (First appearance)
Half-Life Wiki has more images related to Combot.