This article would greatly benefit from the addition of more images.
Dynamite is an environmental trap consisting of bricks of remote detonated explosives used around the Black Mesa Facility for industrial and defensive purposes by the HECU, being used to force access to unreachable areas of the base, or as an effective alternative to stopping Gordon in his tracks. Dynamite has two formats, the first one being a trap, detonated either by tripwire or correographed detonation, in which it must be avoided by means of a puzzle of fast thinking, and the second style being as a means of advancement in which an exit must be blown open to move onto the next portion of the level, proving either way as an important part of storyline and the game itself.
Dynamite only appears in the first Half-Life and its expansions as either a manueverable trap or as a means of advancing onto the next part of the level, appearing 6 times throughout the games.
- They first appear in Blast Pit. They are inside the crates with Grenade
- The dynamite is first encountered in Sector E in the Half-Life chapter On A Rail. There, dynamite traps, either triggered remotely or by tripwires, block the way to the High Altitude Launch Center. Several packs are set up above tracks in Sector E Materials Transport, others are set up in the stairs in the Launch Center's Launch Control building.
- In Uplink, dynamite is used by the HECU to blow up the locked door leading to Sector F's Transmitter Dome.
- In Opposing Force, it is used by the HECU in the chapter Foxtrot Uniform to blow up a section of the Hydro-Electric Dam and destroy the Gargantua.
- Another appearance of dynamite in Opposing Force is a small charge of approximately 5 sticks sitting next to a dead soldier and scientist in a broken X-ray tunnel in Sector E. Shephard uses it to destroy the X-ray, allowing him to proceed.
- In Blue Shift, HECU Marines attempt to blow up a door in the coolant generator area under Section A-17 Prototype Labs in the chapter Power Struggle, but the wire is broken. Barney Calhoun re-establishes the link with a barrel, triggering the explosion and destroying the door.
List of appearances
- Half-Life (First appearance)
- Half-Life: Uplink (Non-canonical appearance)
- Half-Life: Opposing Force
- Half-Life: Blue Shift
|Hazardous Environment Combat Unit|
|Characters||Dwight T. Barnes · Sharpe · Adrian Shephard · Minor HECU members|
|Weapons||Combat Knife · Desert Eagle · Dam Turret · Double Turret · Dynamite · Glock 17 · Land Mine · Laser Tripmine · M198 Howitzer · M2 Browning Machine Gun · M202A1 FLASH · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mk 2 Grenade · MP5 · RPG · Satchel Charge · Sentry Gun · SPAS-12|
|Vehicles||AH-64 Apache · F-16 Fighting Falcon · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M35 cargo truck · V-22 Osprey|
|Classes||HECU Engineer · HECU Medic · HECU Sniper|
|Technology||Powered Combat Vest · Radio · Tactical Map · Welding Torch|
|Other||Military Police · Santego Military Base|
|Vehicles (cut)||F-117 Nighthawk|
|Classes (cut)||Human Sergeant · Robot Grunt|