|This article is within the scope of the Portal Project, an attempt to improve articles related to Portal and Portal 2.|
Please see the project page for more details about the current article status.
|Warning! This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality, per our Cleanup Project. It may contain factual errors and nonsense, as well as spelling, grammar and structure issues, or simply structure problems. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
|Warning! This article contains spoilers.|
It might spoil your gaming experience when first playing the related game(s). Read at your own risk!
- "Asbestos is harmless!"
- ―Excursion Funnel diagram
- Acting as a tractor beam, the Excursion Funnel is powered by a round emitter placed on a wall, containing three gleaming, blue orbs, that edmit strange blue/orange sparkles that fade as the funnel goes on. From each orb leaves a thread that swirls on itself in a spiral, the three threads making up the Funnel itself, a seemingly infinite transparent blue cylinder. Combined with portals, it can transport Test Subjects or objects to otherwise unreachable areas.
- The Excursion Funnel can be reversed in certain test chambers by activating a 1500 Megawatt Aperture Science Heavy Duty Super-Colliding Super Button. This causes the funnel to turn orange and attract objects instead of repelling them.
- "Asbestos is harmless!" appears to be the Excursion Funnel's slogan, and a registered trademark of Aperture Science.
- In at least one level of the Portal 2 single-player campaign, if the player is about to die whilst having portals redirecting an Excursion Funnel, the game corrects for placing the incorrect portal to save themselves.
- The mechanics of the "liquid asbestos" aspect of excursion funnels is currently unknown. It is likely that the device generates a type of tractor beam, which propels a liquid mixture of several elements, one of these being liquified asbestos.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Excursion Funnel was first revealed through a diagram in the April, 2010 issue of Game Informer. In the diagram, a 1500 Megawatt Aperture Science Heavy Duty Super-Colliding Super Button serves as a placeholder for the Funnel's emitter. For an updated (and moving) diagram revealed during E3 2010, the Button was replaced by the definitive device.
- By walking into an Excursion Funnel aimed toward the ceiling, waiting until fully stopped at the top, crouching and waiting again, then pressing jump while holding crouch, the player can float across the ceiling and possibly beyond if nudged correctly.
- So far it is unknown why, while the Excursion Funnel was already in use in 1998, it is not seen in the first Portal, set over 20 years later.
List of appearancesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Game Informer, April 2010 issue
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Excursion Funnel demonstration on Combine OverWiki's YouTube channel
- ↑ Dave Saunders states in the Developer commentary Excursion Funnel "As a solution, we now detect when the player places the wrong portal in hopes of saving themselves; we help them out by moving their other portal under the excursion funnel source."
- ↑ Special Edition Podcast: Portal 2 - podcast on Game Informer