Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This article would greatly benefit from the addition of more images.
- "Keeping you in one piece's proving to be quite a challenge!"
- ―HECU Medic[src]
The Hazardous Environment Combat Unit Medic, commonly abbreviated as the HECU Medic, is an HECU class formally introduced as an ally in Half-Life: Opposing Force. He is trained in first aid and emergency surgery and has the ability to heal wounded soldiers in the field.
Much like the Black Mesa scientist, the player can use the Medic to be healed by standing in front of him and pressing the Use key. He will give 1 health point with his syringe when pressing the Use key once, and will recharge the player's health as long as the Use key is held or until the health is full, much like a Health Charger. While doing so, he will say sentences like "This might sting a bit" or "Keeping you in one piece's proving to be quite a challenge!". The Medic can also heal other squad members.
The Medic carries limited supplies. If used repeatedly, he will no longer be able to heal the player or the rest of the squad.
The Opposing Force Medic is first introduced during the training chapter, Boot Camp, during the "Squad Training" exercise.
He comes with two different skins: Caucasian and Afro-American.
While no Medic is ever seen in the original Half-Life, HECU soldiers will sometimes call for one when dying.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The Medic healing other soldiers who call him only if he has not been commanded to follow the player was added in case the player did not want the Medic using his valuable supplies on NPCs or to interrupt his alert combat mode. This feature was added after the manual had been written, and had to be addressed in the game's readme file instead.
- In real life Marines would be treated by Navy Hospital Corpsmen.
- Strangely, the only Medic seen wielding a Desert Eagle is in Boot Camp. All other medics that you meet in the Opposing Force campaign wield the pistol.
- The Afro-American version does not appear in the game at all.
List of appearancesEdit
- Half-Life: Day One (First mentioned)
- Half-Life (Mentioned only)
- Half-Life: Opposing Force (First appearance)
|Hazardous Environment Combat Unit|
|Characters||Dwight T. Barnes · Sharpe · Adrian Shephard · Minor HECU members|
|Weapons||Combat Knife · Desert Eagle · Dam Turret · Double Turret · Dynamite · Glock 17 · Land Mine · Laser Tripmine · M198 Howitzer · M2 Browning Machine Gun · M202A1 FLASH · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mk 2 Grenade · MP5 · RPG · Satchel Charge · Sentry Gun · SPAS-12|
|Vehicles||AH-64 Apache · F-16 Fighting Falcon · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M35 cargo truck · V-22 Osprey|
|Classes||HECU Engineer · HECU Medic · HECU Sniper|
|Technology||Powered Combat Vest · Radio · Tactical Map · Welding Torch|
|Other||Military Police · Santego Military Base|
|Vehicles (cut)||F-117 Nighthawk|
|Classes (cut)||Human Sergeant · Robot Grunt|