This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.
You can help by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise. Visit our Cleanup Project for more details.
The Hazardous Environment Combat Unit Rocket Propelled Grenade, commonly referred to as the HECU Rocket Propelled Grenade, and commonly abbreviated to the HECU RPG or RPG, is a laser-guided rocket launcher effective at destroying both flying and immobile targets.
- The RPG fires a powerful rocket that can either be guided towards a moving target using the integrated laser, or fired without the laser, a method known as dumb-firing is excellent for destroying powerful immobile enemies like the M1A1 Abrams.
- Despite being found in HECU-controlled areas, this weapon is never seen to be used by HECU soldiers (besides Adrian Shephard). However, rockets for it can be found scattered throughout HECU-controlled areas, such as in the surface areas of Black Mesa, as seen in the chapter Surface Tension.
- In Half-Life, the weapon is first acquired in a supply cache in the cliff section of Surface Tension. An AH-64 Apache appears soon after, giving Gordon a good opportunity to test its capabilities.
- In Opposing Force, the weapon is first obtained in a box at the vehicle repair garage in the chapter Missing in Action.
- In Blue Shift, the weapon is first acquired in a HECU cargo truck during the chapter Captive Freight where Barney needs it to destroy a tank.
- The RPG is primarily used to destroy heavily-armored vehicles such as the M1A1 Abrams tank, the M2A3 Bradley armored fighting vehicle and the AH-64 Apache helicopter. It usually takes about three rockets to the turret to destroy the tanks, while it takes just two rockets to destroy the Apache.
- It can also be used to destroy a large group of enemies with ease, as it has a large damage radius from the point of impact. HECU Soldiers, Alien Grunts and Vortigaunts will try to run away from it, but rarely escape in time.
- The RPG is one of the few weapons that can damage a Gargantua.
- The RPG's laser can be used to guide rockets fired from enemy vehicles, an effective method of conserving ammunition for other more powerful targets, and often useful for destroying the vehicle with its own rockets.
- The RPG is one of few weapons that can be fired underwater, making it easier to fight the Ichthyosaur. However, the rocket becomes much slower if used underwater.
- On Xen, the RPG is effective against the Gonarch. It takes only a few rockets for the Gonarch to try to escape to another part of its arena.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In an older version of Half-Life: Opposing Force, the RPG's laser sight could be used to throw off the Desert Eagle's bullets.
- The Rocket Launcher and the Incendiary Cannon in Team Fortress Classic use Half-Life's RPG model.
- The RPG resembles the German-made Armbrust Rocket Launcher.
- The early model for the RPG resembles the Tau Cannon.
- The late 1997 HUD icon for the RPG can be found in the Half-Life: Day One files.
- The early RPG model seems to be a cross between a British PIAT Rocket Launcher and an American M1 Bazooka.
List of appearancesEdit
|Hazardous Environment Combat Unit|
|Characters||Dwight T. Barnes · Sharpe · Adrian Shephard · Minor HECU members|
|Weapons||Combat Knife · Desert Eagle · Dam Turret · Double Turret · Dynamite · Glock 17 · Land Mine · Laser Tripmine · M198 Howitzer · M2 Browning Machine Gun · M202A1 FLASH · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mk 2 Grenade · MP5 · RPG · Satchel Charge · Sentry Gun · SPAS-12|
|Vehicles||AH-64 Apache · F-16 Fighting Falcon · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M35 cargo truck · V-22 Osprey|
|Classes||HECU Engineer · HECU Medic · HECU Sniper|
|Technology||Powered Combat Vest · Radio · Tactical Map · Welding Torch|
|Other||Military Police · Santego Military Base|
|Vehicles (cut)||F-117 Nighthawk|
|Classes (cut)||Human Sergeant · Robot Grunt|