Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The content of this article has been cut.
The subject matter of this article was cut from the final version of an official / canonical source.
This article is about the weapon cut from Half-Life 2. For the weapon cut from Episode One, see Vortex Hopwire.
The Hopwire Grenade, sometimes simply known as Hopwire, is a weapon cut from Half-Life 2. It can be found in the playable Half-Life 2 Beta. Although it has the same entity, it is unrelated to the Black Hole Hopwire cut from Half-Life 2: Episode One.
- Such a weapon, once placed, leaps up into the air after several seconds and shoots out several wires. Although never coded, it was likely the wires, which, when tripped, cause the grenade and all its tethers to detonate.
- It was to be used by the Alien Assassin. It is likely but unsure if the player was to acquire their first Hopwire Grenades after killing an Alien Assassin.
- As seen in the Half-Life 2 Beta source code, the Hopwire Grenade was originally to be the weapon of choice against Striders, replaced in Episode Two by the Magnusson Device. This is confirmed in the Episode Two commentary, in which Valve's Joshua Weier states that the Magnusson Device "started life as a Half-Life 2 weapon called the Hopwire".
- In the playable Beta, the Hopwire is extremely unstable and does not work properly. If one of the wires touches a surface in the wrong way, the game will crash.
- When held by the player, it uses the regular MK3A2 Grenade model. The proper model will only appear when it is thrown and can be separately viewed in the game files.
- In the Half-Life 2 files, several texture files for HUD weapon icons can be found, most of which still containing the icons for almost all of the cut weapons. The Hopwire Grenade is among them.
- The Hopwire is obtainable on Portal through cheats by using the command "give weapon_hopwire".
List of appearancesEdit
- Half-Life 2 (First appearance) (Game files only) (Non-canonical appearance)
- Half-Life 2: Episode Two (Commentary only)