|This article is within the scope of the Portal Project, a collaborative effort to improve articles related to Portal and Portal 2.|
Please see the project page for more details about the current article status.
|Warning! This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality, per our Cleanup Project. It may contain factual errors and nonsense, as well as spelling, grammar and structure issues, or simply structure problems. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
|The contents of this article has been cut.|
The subject matter of this article was cut from the final version of an official and/or canonical source and appears in no other canonical source.
|Warning! This article contains spoilers.|
It might spoil your gaming experience when first playing the related game(s). Read at your own risk!
|Function(s) / Belongings|
|Chronological and political information|
- Mel was completely scrapped from the game when the co-op characters were turned into ATLAS and P-body, two infinitely respawnable robots, whereas Chell is kept for the singleplayer campaign only. Replacing the two human Test Subjects with robots was decided when it was noted that play testers tended to die a lot, thus creating an in-universe reason for the constant respawning.
- Several GLaDOS lines written when the two Test Subjects were still to be human (notably GLaDOS taunting the two women about their weight) have been kept for the robots, adding to the comedy of the game.
- Her placeholder model was the Chell player model from the first game, with a light blue jumpsuit, blonde hair, blue eyes, and a much more fair skin tone. Her texture files for this placeholder can be seen in the game files of Portal 2.
- Mel and Greg (whose role was replaced and expanded for Caroline) are the only two characters thus far known to have been cut from the Portal series.
- The Party Escort Bot would have been first if it had not been retconned back into the end of Portal. Greg was brought back in the PeTI update
- Mel may have gotten her name from Chell, as they both rhyme.
- Mel is also an abbreviation of names like "Melanie" or "Melinda".
List of appearancesEdit
- Portal 2 (First appearance) (Game files only) (Non-canonical appearance)
- The Final Hours of Portal 2