This article is about the standalone character. For the generic Black Mesa security guard, see Black Mesa Security Force.
- "Hey ya, you wouldn’t have a quarter I can borrow, would ya?"
- ―Otis Laurey[src]
Otis Laurey is a Black Mesa security guard whose name can be seen in the Hazard Course Training schedule for the spring/summer season featured in the Half-Life PlayStation 2 instruction manual. He was to take the Black Mesa Hazard Course for Security Guard Training on May 17, 200-, at 16:00, under the Miller-based holographic instructor. Hand-written notes added by Gina Cross suggest Otis could not make it; she suggests that Barney filled in for him. Whatever was decided, it never happened, as Black Mesa was destroyed that day.
Behind the scenes
- Otis Laurey appears in the schedule only as "O. Laurey", "O" obviously referring to "Otis", the security guard "class" introduced in Opposing Force. Like Gina Cross, Walter Bennet and Barney Calhoun, he is a generic model with a generic first name turned into a standalone character with a surname. It is however unknown what "Otis" model Laurey would be, since he is never met in-game.
- Otis appears in the Doom mod Massmouth, equipped with a weak pistol as a weapon. Used shortly before his encounter is the line: "Hey ya, you wouldn’t have a quarter I can borrow, would ya?" from Half-Life: Opposing Force.
- He is the only new character from Opposing Force that appears in Blue Shift.
List of appearances
- Half-Life PlayStation 2 instruction manual (First appearance)
- Half-Life: Opposing Force
- Half-Life: Blue Shift