Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This article would greatly benefit from the addition of more images.
The Satchel Charge is an explosive demolition bag featured in Half-Life and its expansions. It is more destructive than the Mk 2 Grenade and can be detonated from afar by a remote-controlled detonator, much like the S.L.A.M.
- Satchel Charges are basically very large grenades, or the equivalent of a C4 charge.
- As they are larger and heavier than hand grenades, they cannot be thrown as far: the result will however be a larger explosion. Same damage as the Tripmines
- Pressing the primary fire button drops a single Satchel Charge, then the detonator will be automatically equipped. One can then either detonate the Satchel Charge with the primary fire button or drop additional Satchels with the secondary fire button. If multiple Satchels have been dropped, pressing the detonator will detonate all of them, causing a huge chain explosion.
- Satchel Charges can be found in the Half-Life chapter On A Rail. Later on, they can be found in the Topside Armory in the Topside Motorpool during the chapter Surface Tension, and in a small cache in the chapter Residue Processing, along with the .357 Magnum and Laser Tripmines.
- At some point in the Topside Motorpool, Freeman is crawling in a duct and a HECU soldier opens a hatch at the end to throw a Satchel Charge in. To survive, Freeman must quickly go back at the end of the duct and dive into the water when flames engulf the whole duct. However, while the former is the effect intended by the developers, the HECU soldier can be killed before he throws the Satchel Charge.
- The Satchel Charge is rarely found in the game and should be used carefully.
- It is useful for destroying hard points.
- The Satchel Charge is ideal for destroying vehicles such as the Bradley tank.
- It can be used as traps for unsuspecting enemies.
- It can be used to eliminate entire squads of unsuspecting HECU soldiers.
- It can also be used to damage a Gargantua.
- When detonating, one must be at least 7 meters away from the charges to avoid being hurt.
- Using it against enemies such as Headcrabs or Zombies is therefore a waste of ammunition. Unless facing a group of these enemies while out of grenades, simpler and lighter weapons, or a normal Grenade, should be used instead.
List of appearancesEdit
|Hazardous Environment Combat Unit|
|Characters||Dwight T. Barnes · Sharpe · Adrian Shephard · Minor HECU members|
|Weapons||Combat Knife · Desert Eagle · Dam Turret · Double Turret · Dynamite · Glock 17 · Land Mine · Laser Tripmine · M198 Howitzer · M2 Browning Machine Gun · M202A1 FLASH · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mk 2 Grenade · MP5 · RPG · Satchel Charge · Sentry Gun · SPAS-12|
|Vehicles||AH-64 Apache · F-16 Fighting Falcon · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M35 cargo truck · V-22 Osprey|
|Classes||HECU Engineer · HECU Medic · HECU Sniper|
|Technology||Powered Combat Vest · Radio · Tactical Map · Welding Torch|
|Other||Military Police · Santego Military Base|
|Vehicles (cut)||F-117 Nighthawk|
|Classes (cut)||Human Sergeant · Robot Grunt|