The content of this article has been cut.
The subject matter of this article was cut from the final version of an official / canonical source.
This article is about the cut weapon. For the Half-Life 2 weapon, see Overwatch Sniper Rifle.
The Sniper Rifle is a weapon cut from Half-Life 2. It can be found in the playable Half-Life 2 Beta. While it still exists in Half-Life 2 and its episodes as the Overwatch Sniper Rifle, it was cut as a weapon to be used by the player, like the Stun Baton. It is also different in other ways.
- The Sniper Rifle was to be Half-Life 2's long-range weapon but was dropped in favor of the less conventional crossbow (which has the same range for a skilled player).
- It is an extremely powerful weapon; it can kill a regular Overwatch Soldier with one hit. However, the player must manually insert a new round between shots, much like the retail crossbow. The reload time between shots is also much longer for the Sniper Rifle. To compensate this, the Sniper Rifle's bullet will instantly hit a target.
- The Sniper Rifle (along with the Overwatch Sniper) is prominently featured in the WC mappack maps starting with "sniper".
- The Sniper Rifle was adapted for use by Overwatch Snipers and Alyx only, and was eventually seen in Episode Two. In the infested rebel base in Episode Two, Alyx covers Gordon with the rifle, if a grenade is thrown inside the sniper nest, a Combine soldier will appear as killed instead of Alyx.
- It is featured in the arcade version of Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Survivor.
- In the Half-Life 2 files, several texture files for HUD weapon icons can be found, most of which still containing the icons for almost all of the cut weapons. The Sniper Rifle is among them.
- In Half-Life 2 and its episodes, the player can still spawn a box of sniper rounds using the console command "give item_box_sniper_rounds". The box texture is different from that of the original model; it is pink, with the word "OBSOL33T" (leetspeak for "obsolete") written in cyan on it.
- The rifle appears to be a combination of the real-life LAR .50 BMG Grizzly Big Boar and the Steyr HS .50.
List of appearancesEdit
- Half-Life 2 (First appearance) (Game files only) (Non-canonical appearance)
- Half-Life 2: Survivor (Non-canonical appearance)