This article would greatly benefit from the addition of more images.
The inn is located in a small hamlet that includes several houses, storage buildings, and a gas station. In the years following the invasion, all of the buildings of the area, including the inn, were presumably looted and almost all items and possessions in each building were taken. When Gordon and Alyx visited the area, the buildings of the inn were almost completely devoid of furniture of any kind.
Due to the abundance of supply crates stored in and around the inn, and the discovery of a few dead bodies in the area, it appears that Resistance members used the area as an outpost at some point in the past, but either abandoned it for unknown reasons, or have been ambushed and killed by the Combine.
Half-Life 2: Episode TwoEdit
In Episode Two's fifth chapter, Under the Radar, Gordon Freeman and Alyx Vance find the tunnel on the main road sealed off by a Combine roadblock and are forced to take a detour through the village, straight into an ambush set by the Combine. They take cover in the inn, where they are besieged by several squads of Overwatch Soldiers, supported by Hunters and Elite soldiers. They eventually fight their attackers off, disable the forcefield blocking the exit from the village and escape. The firefight leaves the inn in even worse shape.
When driving up to the inn from the road, the G-Man can briefly be seen walking inside the inn. However, he is not found inside or anywhere near the inn once the player reaches it.
Behind the scenesEdit
- According to the script file "level_voices_episode_02.txt" found in the Source Particle Benchmark files, the White Forest Inn was apparently originally named "Olde Inne".
- The White Forest Inn has an Orange Box Achievement, "Quiet Mountain Getaway", requiring to survive the ambush.
- The gas pump can also be found at the Petroleum Station in Half-Life 2, although it cannot be destroyed this time. The preview image for the gas pump model also reveals it originally had the temporary name "Cetaxo", an anagram of the real-world gas brand name "Texaco". Furthermore, the text displaying the cost and volume is in Swedish.
- This is one of the few location where Alyx is reprogrammed to use cover and blindfiring when close to a window, other being in Radio tower. However, it is not very effective.
- When not in the visible range of Overwatch Soldiers, the soldiers are actually shooting at the building instead of chasing the player and Alyx.
- During the ambush, if a Elite Soldier is killed, he will drop a Battery instead of Energy Ball. This is most likely a balancing reason, as they are very efficient against Hunters.
List of appearancesEdit
- Source Particle Benchmark (First appearance) (Game files only) (Non-canonical appearance)
- Half-Life 2: Episode Two (First identified as The White Forest Inn)
The Junk Yard
|Half-Life 2 story arc journey||Succeeded by|