Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Osprey makes its first appearance near the end of the chapter "We've Got Hostiles" (this appearance marks the ending of Half-Life's first demo, Half-Life: Day One), on the surface of Sector D. As Freeman has no access to any explosive weapons at this point, he has to evade it. It can also be seen in the Topside Motorpool in the chapter Surface Tension, where HECU troops are unloaded and fight Alien Grunts. It continually deploys two soldiers every so often.
Half-Life: Opposing ForceEdit
At the beginning of Opposing Force, Shephard is transported in Goose 7, a V-22 Osprey, through a canyon along with his squad towards the Black Mesa Research Facility until it is attacked by Alien Aircraft and shot down, along with Goose 3. At the end of the game, Shephard is teleported to a similar craft for the G-Man ending sequence.
In Decay, an Osprey is encountered in Black Mesa Air Control in chapter six, Code Green, where it constantly unloads HECU troops until it is destroyed or the player proceeds further. Another is also seen lifting off.
The Osprey is unarmed and thus cannot harm the player, though it will sometimes endlessly deploy soldiers until destroyed. In such cases, the RPG or the Tau Cannon can be used to defeat it. The Osprey can also be destroyed through sustained fire aimed at the rotors, though this is generally not advised, being a waste of ammo. This tactic, however, must be used in Decay, as the player does not have rockets when it appears.
Behind the scenesEdit
- An early screenshot of the Half-Life chapter Surface Tension featuring an Osprey offloading troops along the cliff. In the final version, this part only features an Apache.
- The Opposing Force model files feature what appears to be a Black Ops version of the Osprey, though it never appears in-game. However, it was used in several mods, such as Sven Co-op and Residual Point. The Black Ops Apache, which was not cut, features similar black coloring.
- As seen in an early Decay screenshot, the players were to enter the blue hangar in front of which the HECU soldiers are offloaded by an Osprey in the Black Mesa Air Control, where a dismantled Osprey was to be found. What remains is only the small door to enter the hangar, while its inside was completely removed.
- The playable Half-Life 2 Beta files feature models and textures of parts of an Osprey, which was to be used instead of the C-130 by Gordon and Alyx to travel from the Weather Control to the Skyscraper.
- All V-22s featured in the game have side entry ramps. The real V-22 Osprey only has a rear-loading ramp.
- Except in Opposing Force, Marines inside the Ospreys are always equipped with the MP5, never a shotgun due to ineffective range in open areas. Furthermore, they always fire their MP5 in full-auto until they land.
List of appearancesEdit
- Half-Life: Day One (First appearance)
- Half-Life: Opposing Force
- Half-Life: Decay
- Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar
|Vehicles, vessels and transportation|
|Black Mesa transportation||Black Mesa SUV · Black Mesa Transit System · Black Mesa truck|
|Black Ops vehicles||AH-64 Apache · M35 cargo truck|
|HECU vehicles||AH-64 Apache · F-16 Fighting Falcon · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M35 cargo truck · V-22 Osprey|
|Combine vehicles||Advisor Platform · Armored Personnel Carrier · Hunter-Chopper · Razor Train|
|Resistance vehicles||Airboat · Mil Mi-8 · Muscle Car · Scout Car|
|Trainstations||City 17 Trainstation · Depot · Technical Trainstation|
|Other||Borealis · Rail transport · Road transport|
|Black Ops (cut)||V-22 Osprey|
|Combine (cut)||AirEx Truck · C-130 · Combine SWAT Truck · M2A3 Bradley · Merkava · School Bus · V-22 Osprey|
|Resistance (cut)||Borealis · C-130 · Jalopy · Jet Ski · Submarine · V-22 Osprey|
|Other (cut)||Chevrolet Caprice · Digger · F-117 Nighthawk · Ford F-250 · GMC Vandura|
|Hazardous Environment Combat Unit|
|Characters||Dwight T. Barnes · Sharpe · Adrian Shephard · Minor HECU members|
|Weapons||Combat Knife · Desert Eagle · Dam Turret · Double Turret · Dynamite · Glock 17 · Land Mine · Laser Tripmine · M198 Howitzer · M2 Browning Machine Gun · M202A1 FLASH · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mk 2 Grenade · MP5 · RPG · Satchel Charge · Sentry Gun · SPAS-12|
|Vehicles||AH-64 Apache · F-16 Fighting Falcon · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M35 cargo truck · V-22 Osprey|
|Classes||HECU Engineer · HECU Medic · HECU Sniper|
|Technology||Powered Combat Vest · Radio · Tactical Map · Welding Torch|
|Other||Military Police · Santego Military Base|
|Vehicles (cut)||F-117 Nighthawk|
|Classes (cut)||Human Sergeant · Robot Grunt|
|The Black Ops|
|Vehicles||AH-64 Apache · M35 cargo truck|
|Weapons||Glock 17 · Laser Tripmine · M2 Browning Machine Gun · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mk 2 Grenade · Mortar · MP5 · Sentry Gun|
|Vehicles (cut)||V-22 Osprey|
|Weapons (cut)||Crossbow · Flash Grenade|