With a mostly steampunk style, Antonov has been in the video game industry since 1996. He holds a transportation design degree from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena and has also designed for commercials, animation, and film in the USA and Europe. Antonov has been living in Paris (France), where he immigrated at 17, Montreux (Switzerland), Los Angeles and Seattle.
He has founded the entertainment design studio "The Building" in Paris, France. The firm provides design services and consulting for multiple platforms, ranging from video games, feature films, and commercials, to television series. He is also a visiting design instructor at the Baden-Wuerttemberg Film Academy.
Antonov was art director and conceptual artist for Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Lost Coast. For Half-Life 2, he designed most of the City 17 style and the Combine architecture and technology. As it is commonly done during a video game's development, most of his concept art for Half-Life 2 was done with Photoshop on existing screenshots of work-in-progress maps. Some of these maps can be found in the WC mappack. At Valve, he also worked on Counter-Strike: Source.
Antonov can be seen credited across the web as the composer of cut Half-Life 2 music. This is incorrect, as Antonov is not a composer and most of this miscredited music is actually credited to Kelly Bailey or is most of the time totally unrelated to Half-Life 2.
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast (2005)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
- The Air Exchange
- The Canals (with Tri Nguyen and Dhabih Eng)
- The Citadel (with Jeff Ballinger and Dhabih Eng)
- City 17 (with Eric Kirchmer and Damarcus Holbrook)
- The City 17 Trainstation
- The Coast
- The Combine Factories
- Most of the Combine technology (with Eric Kirchmer and Dhabih Eng) and architecture
- The Combine Smart Barrier (with Eric Kirchmer)
- The Depot
- The Manhack Arcade
- Nova Prospekt (with Dhabih Eng and Eric Kirchmer)
- Ravenholm (with Eric Kirchmer and Horia Dociu)
- The Wasteland
- The Crossing (on hold)
- Dishonored (2012)
- Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (2006)
- Counter-Strike: Source (2004)
- Kingpin: Life of Crime (1999)
- Quake II Mission Pack: The Reckoning (1998)
- Redneck Rampage Rides Again (1998)
- Redneck Deer Huntin' (1997)
- Redneck Rampage (1997)
- ↑ L’architecture des jeux vidéo peut-elle échapper au réalisme ? BiTS (french). ARTE (2016-01-06).
- ↑ http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,10802/
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Viktor Antonov official website
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 4.15 4.16 4.17 4.18 4.19 4.20 4.21 4.22 4.23 4.24 Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar
- ↑ Half-Life 2: Lost Coast commentary
- ↑ WC mappack
- Official website
- Viktor Antonov at Siggraph on Planet Half-Life
- GDC Lyon: Antonov Talks Visual Design, Half Life 2 on Gamasutra