- "Dr. Rosenberg! Thank God you made it!"
- ―Walter Bennet[src]
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Walter is first introduced in the chapter Vicarious Reality, in a hologram message intended for him, in Sector E. In that message, a colleague explains to him that they were finally able to successfully detach a Barnacle from its point of gestation, but that they were still only able to coerce the creature into latching onto organic materials. The scientist then states he has to cease his experiments on the creature because the Administrator has called him down to the Anomalous Materials lab for an important experiment, and that Bennet should take on the work on specimen 1176. After listening to that message, Adrian Shephard takes possession of specimen 1176, the Barnacle Grapple, stored in a nearby room.
Half-Life: Blue Shift
In Blue Shift, it is learned that when the Resonance Cascade occurred at Black Mesa, Rosenberg and a colleague named Harold formulated a plan of escape: They would reach the disused Prototype Labs and use its old teleport to teleport themselves to the surface and escape. Along with Simmons and Bennet, they set out to accomplish this, but they do not count on the arrival of the HECU and their immediate hostility. Harold is killed and Rosenberg is captured, but Walter and Simmons escape unscathed to the Prototype Labs and get it ready for the teleportation sequence.
When Rosenberg returns with a security guard named Barney Calhoun, Walter is extremely relieved and briefs him on the situation. After the teleport is set up with the help of Barney, Walter is the first one to go through, and arrives outside the Black Mesa South Access Tunnel. Simmons soon comes through as well, and gets a Black Mesa SUV ready for their escape while Walter uses a crowbar to open a gate. Soon, Calhoun and Rosenberg teleport nearby, and they escape with the SUV. As with Rosenberg and Simmons, Bennet's fate afterwards remains unknown.
Behind the scenes
- Walter's name is based on the "Scientist 01"'s face texture name, which is simply "walter". He was therefore created like Gina Cross, Barney Calhoun or Otis Laurey, from being a generic model with a generic first name to a standalone character with a surname, although Isaac Kleiner also stems from "Scientist 01".
- The spelling of his surname can be seen in the Half-Life PlayStation 2 instruction manual, in the Hazard Course Training schedule.
- Walter is one of the only NPCs in the Half-Life series to ever wield a crowbar, as seen by Barney Calhoun at the end of Half-Life: Blue Shift.
- In the late 1990s / early 2000s, Walter was very popular among players, who tended to refer to the bald/glasses scientist by that name. He was also the subject of a fanfiction named "Walter's World" on Planet Half-Life, which was quite popular in its day.
List of appearances
- Half-Life PlayStation 2 instruction manual
- Half-Life: Opposing Force (First appearance) (Mentioned only)
- Half-Life: Blue Shift