This article is about a mod.
This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.
You can help by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise. Visit our Cleanup Project for more details.
Zombie Panic! Source is a multiplayer Half-Life 2 modification that pays homage to the popular Zombie genre of film and games. It is the sequel to Zombie Panic!, both of which are available to download for free.
The game features four modes of gameplay: Survival mode, objective mode, ZPA mode, and Hardcore mode. In survival mode, the zombies start with an appropriate number of lives which are slowly depleted as zombies are killed and subsequently come back. In this mode, the round can only be won if one side loses all of their lifes. A Zombie life is gained if a human is killed. Objective mode either introduces a set of objectives the survivors must complete, or pits the survivors against a non-stop zombie onslaught for a fixed amount of time. The zombie team has an infinite number of lives in objective mode, so zombies can always join the action again if they are killed.
Scattered throughout the levels are various forms of furniture, decor, and miscellaneous items that can be used to block zombies and/or barricade a room or location of choice.
Humans start with a handgun and a melee weapon. Survivors have access to a wide variety of firearms and melee weapons alike to aid them in fighting off the zombie team.
They start in small numbers, with the goal of thwarting the humans' attempts at survival or completion of objectives. Zombies have an alternative vision mode which brightens any light sources present and causes survivors to appear with a red aura, and green for infected survivors.
The Carrier zombie is a pale, slightly stronger zombie that carries a 10% chance of infection when attacking a survivor. There is only one carrier each round. If a human is infected, they will eventually turn into a zombie. When infected, the survivor becomes vulnerable to friendly fire, allowing other survivors to kill them before they turn. While a normal zombie deals 25 damage, the Carrier deals 35 and has +50 Health.
Items are not simply picked up by walking over them as in most First-person shooter games; Players have to use a special "use" button to pick up items. This forces the player to consider the cost and benefit of anything they pick up, since it will slow them down.
- Zombie Panic! Source began development in early 2005, and released their first public beta on December 28, 2007.
- In 2006, Zombie Panic! Source was picked as one of ModDB's top 100 unreleased mods of the year.
- In 2007, Zombie Panic! Source won ModDB's player's choice unreleased mod of the year.
- On February 9, 2008, Zombie Panic! Source was discussed in the first ModDB podcast.
- The mod was also featured in the March 2008 issue of PC Gamer, UK Edition.
- On October 8, 2008, it was one of the first five "mods" to be released on Steam by Valve under their new commitment to easily accessible quality user-created modifications in the Steam Store.